What’s in a name? Everything
Naming is a science.
It looks so easy and yet, with almost every URL accounted for, it’s practically impossible to get what you think you really want.
Plus, it’s one of the most subjective things you do for your brand.
But there are a few ways to get there.
Start with these five high-level principles and you'll be well on your way:
1) Have the user in mind: Who are you naming for?
2) Don’t make it too smart so nobody gets it.
3) Pick something that stands out.
4) Tie it to the product or service you’re offering.
5) Ask people what they think of your name. (Mom included)
Also, the best way to start the naming process is to make it a process.
If you’re thinking; “Oh well, we can do this ourselves.” – you’re wrong. You can’t think independently about your future brand.
You need outsiders for that. An independent opinion will surprise you, and will tell you straight up what’s right and what’s not so right.
This year we named quite a few services, SaaS platforms etc. And honestly?
The winning name of two of these projects popped up a few hours before presentation time!
But we couldn’t have pulled that off without a rigid and strategic process.